"Second Visit to Europe"
Name of traveller
Stephen (Étienne de) Grellet (1773-1855)
Reason for travel
- visiting Quaker communities and pastoral care
- en route from Ireland
Date of travel
17th. I had a very large, good meeting in Llandilo [sic]; many of the people, and even the children, shed tears; they were so affected under the solemnity of the testimony delivered to them. (Grellet 191)
- attends numerous meetings with Friends en route to Bristol
- notes grievances particularly among of the Welsh-speaking Friends
- attends the Half-year's meeting in Brecon
- language: depends on interpreter during some meetings with Welsh-speaking Friends
- people: in Brecon meets with French officers who are on parole as prisoners of war
- French translation: "Second voyage en Europe." Un quaker français. Vie d'Etienne du Gréllas. Récit de ses travaux philanthropiques et missionnaires. Ed. Benjamin Seebohm. Trans. Mme. Abric-Encontre. Paris: Grassart, 1873. 75-90. Print.
- click here to read the full account
Nationality of traveller
Language of publication
English; French translation
Gender of traveller
Type of publication
biography; edited diary
Grellet, Stephen [Étienne de]."Second Visit to Europe." Memoirs of the Life and Gospel Labours of Stephen Grellet. Ed. Benjamin Seebohm. Vol. 1 Philadelphia: Henry Longstreth, 1864. 190-204. Print.